Friday, January 11, 2013

Gym Musing: Make It Personal


In order to not only be motivated, but also stay motivated, you must discover and establish a solid reason for doing so.

This reason (or reasons) must be your own. They must be personal to you, otherwise you will most likely quit down the line.

The reason might be health related, a romantic interest (or interests), greater self-esteem and confidence, etc.

I feel I have only just now discovered my reason. Initially it was weight loss, which then turned into overall fitness and sex appeal, which then turned into wanting better health. But now I have found what keeps me motivated is the need for feeling happier, naturally, without relying on external influences and substances such as alcohol, etc. 

I have been suffering from mild to medium (and occasionally severe) depression and anxiety for over 10 years. It comes and it goes. If I have a late night of drinking, I am completely depleted of dopamine the next day and feeling extremely down. The same thing (though slightly less severe) happens if I am not regularly working out or have skipped a few days of exercise. However, when I am exercising, I am always on a high during those days.

I suppose this chemical balance that causes depression and anxiety is a blessing and not a curse. Just as for other's who get high off an adrenaline rush, which motivates them to push themselves. What better motivation for getting regular exercise? I must exercise to remain happy, thanks to endorphins.  This need drives me in the gym. When I need to push that final rep, to complete that last kilometer. I know I will never stop, because I have been to the dark empty pit that saps my will, my focus, my happiness; and I never want to go there again. Exercise keeps me up here.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, in his speech at University of California, stated: "What is most important is that you have to dig deep down; dig deep down, and ask yourselves: 'Who do you want to be. Not what, but who. I'm talking about not what your parents or teachers want you to be, but you. I'm talking about figuring out for yourself, what makes you happy, no matter how crazy it may sound to other people."

Even though he meant it more as a life lesson, I feel the core message can be applied to your fitness motivation also, which is that you must ask yourself why you are doing what you are doing. Hence, you must find what really drives you, regardless of what drives others. Make it personal.




No comments:

Post a Comment