Monday, September 6, 2010

Weeks 25 - 30: Back in Action!

I'm back! I had a fantastic time in the UK. The cooler weather was definitely a welcome change. However, it did rain from time to time, which put a wrench into my outdoor activities, but not by too much. The sun would usually pop back out after a few hours.

My brother had weights and a workout bench at his house, which I took full advantage of during my stay. Normally, I would work out in the morning and go for a run immediately after. Running by the nearby farms, over streams and narrow bridges, and through the parks and well-kept fields was truly a brilliant experience. Running was also made pleasurable by passing by like-minded runners, walkers, and other outdoor enthusiasts. If we had a running trail like that here, I would be on it everyday. It was sad to leave, but I have no regrets, since I took advantage of the place during most of my stay there.

Now, back to more important matters. Before I left, I was 182.5 lbs. I was expecting to gain around 5 to 10 lbs during my holiday, since I wasn't really on a strict diet for that duration. However, I measured myself today, and I am 185 lbs, which means I only gained 2.5 lbs, despite the binge eating, etc. I can only attribute this to my commitment to working out and running regularly. When I first stepped off the plane in London, the first poster ad I saw on the wall had the word "Discipline" in bold letters as the title. I literally took that as a sign that I must try and retain some semblance of my regime while I'm on holiday, which I did. And boy, am I glad I did!

I brought back skin calipers! Finally, I can track my body fat along with my weight, which will give me a more accurate representation of my weight loss progress. I took three measurements at the same spot today (an inch above the hipbone on the right side of my body), and divided them by three, to get the average. It came up as 22mm, which comes to about 22.3% body fat for a male my age, according to the Accumeasure chart. However, the body fat calculator at Scooby's Workshop (http://scoobysworkshop.com) mentions three different places on the body to measure. I'll try his calculator tomorrow and see how much of a difference there is.

Even if the body fat percentage itself is not an accurate representation of my fat, the basic purpose is to track the change in body fat over time, which is what I need it for.

I also brought back a Camelbak Octane XCT hydration pack, which is pretty cool. I'll be using it for my hikes. I plan to start hiking once Ramadan is over. I am still going to gym around an hour after Iftar (opening of fast) in the evenings. I am staying up all night during this fasting month because I need to feed my body every two or three hours, just like I used to do before. If I didn't do this, I'd probably end up losing quite a bit of muscle.

Ramadan will be over by the end of this week. Then it's back to the proper workout regime. I will have one big wedding to attend to at the end of next week (it will be a few days long). Hopefully my diet isn't ruined too much then. Other than that, I hope to be back on track, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment