Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week 1 and 2 Progress

Before I provide the update, I should mentioned the training regime I am following:

3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri):
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) of Full Body Exercises using weights. This is followed by 15 - 20 minutes of heavy bag boxing for cardio (also HIIT).

2 times a week (Tue, Thu):
HIIT walking/sprinting. Basically, I start out by walking for 5 minutes, then sprinting at full speed for 10-15 seconds, then walking for 1-2 minutes, sprinting again for 10-15 seconds, and repeating the 1-2 mins/10-15 secs walk/sprint process thereafter. I do this till I have completed 4 - 5 sprints. This works for me, since I am a beginner at running. Don't get me wrong though, I am still exhausted and gasping for breath by the end of the workout. Such is the power of HIIT.

The full body workout sessions last about 30 - 40 minutes, plus 20 minutes of boxing, while the walking/sprinting sessions have a total duration of about 20 minutes.

So, after two weeks of rigorous exercise, coupled with a healthy diet plan, what do I have to show for it?

Well, it's good news so far. I checked my weight yesterday (February 22, 2010), and it was 203lbs. As mentioned before, I was AT LEAST 205 to 215lbs before working out, and have therefore lost weight a couple pounds for sure.

From now onwards, I will have a better idea of how much I am losing, since I know my current weight.

Extras:

Let me just say that I am not endorsing the below products in any way, nor am I trying to promote them for any self-gain. I am just mentioning them, to let you, the reader, know what I am using and finding helpful in my training. I am sure there are even better products out there, and if you know of, or are using, any good ones, please mention them in the comments.

I am currently using two pieces of equipment I have found pretty useful in my training. One is my ipod nano, which I use with a Nike+ sensor kit (Instead of buying Nike+ shoes, I cut a place in my old sneakers to place the sensor in). The kit helps me with tracking my running statistics, such as covered distance, time, and calories burned. And, of course, it plays my workout music.

Secondly, I have downloaded a free app for my iphone, called "Lose it!", which helps track my daily calorie intake, along with info about the fats, carbs, and proteins I have had. It may seem like a hassle to input the food you have eaten every single time, but the good thing is that the app has an extensive database of foods already, and you can combine those foods to make your own recipes, and you can even create your own foods from scratch and input their nutrient/calorie details yourself. I really like the app because it not only helps me keep track of what foods I am eating, but also opens my eyes to the pros/cons of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment