Monday, February 22, 2010

The Beginning

It is pertinent to record my measurements before I started working out, in order for any progress to be tracked:

Chest 45.5"
Shoulder 18.5"
Waist 43.5" (+1 to 2")
Biceps: Left 15" Right 16"
Wrist 8"
Hip 45.5"
Thighs 27"
Ankle 11"
Weight 205lbs (+5 to 10)

Some of the above measurements may seem useless, like the ankle, but these are necessary to get a more accurate calculation of body fat, without having to use any sophisticated equipment. Also, the above measurements are almost a year old (24 April 2009, to be exact), and are therefore not an accurate representation of my stats of a month ago; however, I am fairy sure I am a bit heavier and fatter since last year, so a margin of error of +1" to the waist, and +10 lbs to the weight, should suffice.

My overall goal is to reach roughly 170lbs and reduce my waist to approx 33". Impossible is nothing (Adidas).

It has been six weeks since I have been working out. The first two weeks involved only light weights, in order to get my body used to the fact that I will be lifting again. The two weeks following that routine, I began hitting certain muscles each day, three times a week. That is before I read the two books I mentioned in the previous section. Mike Geary, the author of "The Truth about Six Pack Abs", says that in order to lose fat while maintaining muscle, full body exercises, especially those that strengthen the core, are most effective. I have a few friends who follow similar exercises, and I have seen a significant difference in their bodies. Therefore, two weeks ago, I decided to adopt Geary's exercise regime.

For two weeks, I have also rid myself of the traditional three-meal diet. I am now taking six, smaller meals throughout the day, each separated roughly by three hours. I have also started using a 100% whey protein powder. I sprinkle half a serving on my cereal in the morning. I take another half a serving in a banana, milk, and oatmeal shake, as a meal replacement shake between breakfast and lunch. Finally, I take one whole serving in a banana, honey, and water shake right after working out everyday. For my regular meals, I have switched to good carbs, fats from oil and leafy vegetables, and lean protein, whenever possible.

Finally, I have also started drinking about 2.5 to 3.0 liters (roughly 3/4 of a galon) of water everyday.

In the next section, I'll quickly update my progress up till today.

No comments:

Post a Comment